Thursday, January 19, 2012

Choking Oldgrowth and Kustom Glu


This board needed something special so I called a good friend that had just the thing for it. I knew my friend would have what this board needed because I used to work for him when I was in high school. One of the things we would do was go down the steep hills that are on his property and find old redwood logs that were left behind the last time it was logged 100 or so years before. Back then if they dropped a tree and the log fell into a tight spot they would just leave it and go to the next tree. There was plenty of redwood and it was all choice first growth. When we found a log that had been left my job was to run choker cables down the hill to the log and once it was hooked up we would drag the log up the hill and mill it into lumber. Now, I am pretty sure that all the wood that I helped mill has all ready been sold but there is a slight possibility that I helped drag the tree that this stringer came from out of the woods. That job sure was fun and so is gluing up a blank with a beautiful half inch old growth redwood stringer.

No comments:

Post a Comment